WHAT THE HECK WILL I DO WITH ALL THESE APPLES?!?!?!
This is the question most of us ask to ourselves after the yearly trip to the apple orchard.
We have waited for Fall all year long: best season of the year, beautiful color, perfect weather, Halloween, pumpkins everywhere (even in your latte 😉 and, last but not least, THE YEARLY TRIP TO THE APPLE ORCHARD.
And, as every year, you have planned everything:
a) picked the perfect day and time for taking the kids.
b) psychologically prepared your husband that is going to be fun (even for him 🙂 );
c) studied the weather forecast for the whole month of October;
d) and last, you’ve sworn to yourself to not get distracted by the excitement of the day and BUY TOO MUCH APPLES!!!!! Who would have said that such a small bag could contain twenty pounds of apples? And how could you have prevent the kids to pick their own apples in their own bags? Simply IMPOSSIBLE!!!
And so NOW you are thinking to yourself “What the heck am I going to do with all these apples“?
Ha, I got you! And that’s ok! Sharing with family and friends is really a good idea but for once, why not keeping the Apple Orchard experience lasting more than one day, maybe an whole month, by preparing (alone or with the involvement of your family members) a new Italian recipe a week which includes apples?
Today, I would like to list you 7 Traditional Italian recipes that you may be willing to try: easy, most of them fast, with simple ingredients and especially perfect to finish up ALL THOSE APPLES!
1) Italian Style Apple crumble pie, a classic! If you like the combo “apples and raisins” you cannot miss this cake. It’s one of my favorite because almost any kind of apples could be used (but not the green ones please!). It’s very easy to make and the kids will enjoy the kneading part, mom will have to take care of the peeling and cutting, but in 60-75 minutes you’ll be done! Let it cooled off for a few hours (or even refrigerate it) and enjoy.. Wow! The best apple crumble ever, oh wait, It’s Italian 😉 . And if you like it, add a dust of cinnamon, it is apple crumble after all….
2) Golden Apple Muffins: the kid’s favorite! This recipe has belonged to my Italian family for generations and I am so happy I can share it with you! The exciting part is that nowadays we can prepare the muffins batter in the food processor, and it takes only 20 minutes baking to be done: you will never buy muffin boxes ever again! Before starting, though, make sure to have at hand some Golden Delicious.
3) Fluffy Italian Apple coffee cake: like a cuddle for the palate! If you feel the urge to use 2 lbs. of apples in just one cake, this is the recipe you were looking for! Jonathas and Jonagold are the apples kind that will give the cake the perfect touch. Super soft, not too sweet, absolutely appealing, this apple coffee cake won’t let you down. If you decide to side it by a warm custard and sprinkle it with sliced almond, OMG, it will be like heaven!
4) Apple, raisins and pine nuts pastry pie: unconventional! If you like the popular “strudel loaf”(typical dessert in the South Tirol) and in need for a recipe that will require a couple of pound of sweets apples (Gala apples, Jonathas, Golden Delicious), you cannot be wrong by trying this pastry pie. This recipe is another of my mom’s classic: a buttery dough filled with a mix of apples, raisins and pine-nuts. Peeling and cutting the apples, soaking the raisins in advance may sounds a little tiring, but if you’ll give it a try, let me know :-), I am totally sure it won’t disappoint you!
5) Steamed apples and vanilla ice-cream: so classy! This recipe looks like a show stopper dessert super sophisticated, but is basically just steamed apples, served still hot with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and a dust of cinnamon…. maybe too simple to appeal children, but absolutely phenomenal for adults! Trust me! Keep it as a secret recipe for a fancy dinner or for a warm treat on a fall rainy day… you’ll love it! Golden delicious would be my first choice for this recipe, but I would say that any kind of apples would do a nice job here :-). Don’t forget, you can add to the some booze when you steam the apples, a little bit of alcohol would be the cherry on top of cake.
6) Gluten and dairy free apple muffin: If by chance you need something gentle on easily irritable stomach, but at the same time made with very easy to find ingredients, these muffins are what you are looking for! Yummy, light and ideal to use up some of those apples!!!!
7) Puff Pastries and apples roses: Have fun with the kids to create these absolutely pretty roses with puff pastry and apples! Only 30 minutes for this fun and yummy project! Everyone will be impressed by how easy these roses are to be prepared and how good they taste!
This is my apples desserts ideas, but I know there are so much more out there, and I would love if you’d like to share more recipes with me, to experiment new flavors but most of all TO GET RID OFF ALL THOSE APPLES!
I wish you a wonderful day! Thank you for stopping by my blog!
YOU CAN ALSO FIND ME HERE:
on INSTAGRAM: Silvia Italiangoodness
on PINTEREST: Italiangoodness, Italian recipes and more!